By OC Minx Cosmetics Photo credit. Adobe Stock
Launching your new nail polish line is an exciting event! You have anticipated this moment for weeks, and now it is time to introduce your products to your customers. If you are in a nail salon, this approach will be a bit different than it would be for a boutique or strictly online venue. In this article, we will focus on a strategy that will be applicable to a salon or spa
setting. In our next article, we will discuss a more global launch strategy.
Offering a Brand Mix
Most salons carry national brands along with their own private label polish. In fact, we suggest this strategy for established nail salons. Why? Because people naturally resist change. Your clients are used to having these brands on the rack. Adding your own line is a fresh addition to your polish offerings. It is easier to guide your clients towards using your brand of polish if you are adding this option and not taking away what they are comfortable with.
Now that you have added your beautiful nail polish to the salon, how do you get your clients to use it instead of a national brand? This answer is broken into 3 parts:
1- Show – create visual awareness
2- Tell- convey the value and differences
3- Offer- provide an introductory special
Let’s take a deeper dive and discuss each point in detail.
1- SHOW: When introducing your nail polish line, it is important to place a display of your polish bottles and signage it in a prominent place. By signage, we are referring to what our industry commonly refers to as a “shelf talker.” This is a small framed sign (5×7 or smaller) that has a blurb about the product, such as:
“Introducing our New Nail Polish Collection”
A luxurious, healthy formula with rich color!”
Showcase these items, along with your small sign it in a few key areas where the client will easily see it. These areas are in the reception area, on the nail polish rack, and at the client stations. For example,
- Place a few bottles on display at the reception desk with a small framed sign next to it.
- Devote the top rack of your nail polish display with your brand. Post a framed sign on the wall above.
- On the nail stations, place a few key colors of your polish on a tray between stations (if joined) or have a small framed product sign on each station if space permits.
RECEPTION AREA: To get the product noticed, your clients need to be guided by the salon receptionist and staff. The first big opportunity to create awareness comes when the client checks in. Having a few nail polish bottles at the reception desk along with a sign forms a visual display. By the receptionist pointing out the polishes on display, the client will take notice when he/she approaches the polish rack.
NAIL POLISH RACK: Bringing in a new line of nail polish opens up a great opportunity to make room on the rack. Most salons have racks overflowing with bottles. Some are frequently used, some have not been chosen for months. Take a look at the rack and eliminate old colors that are not used or bottles that are nearly empty, with polish sticking to the sides. Next, organize the shelves by color, leaving the top shelf, or the shelf that is at eye-level for your new polish!
NAIL STATION: The nail station is an important space to discuss the new nail polish. There, you can actually do color swatching on the nails and entice the client to use the polish in a mani, pedi or both!
2- Tell: Communicate the value of your product so that your client is compelled to use it in their service. Once the client uses the product, you may ask if they would like to “take a bottle of the polish home today?” You can also inform them of any introductory special if one is in place.
Communicate how your brand is different from the national brands, such as OPI, Zoya, and Essie?
Talking about how great your nail polish line is becomes the EASIEST PART of the launch process. You can do this when showing the color before the service and even during the service itself.
We all know that the national brands offer great quality, as does your own brand. So how are you different?
- Unique Colors: Your nail polish line offers colors that are different, which allows your clients to wear unique colors offered exclusively by your salon. Even the black and white shades can be adjusted with our many top coats!
- Convenience: Clients can purchase your nail polish immediately in the salon and freshen up their nails between manicures.
- Quality: Your nail polish is vegan, cruelty-free and made with a healthy formula from the USA.
- Support: Clients are given a great opportunity to support your business by using your branded product. The salon can offer a bonus offer if the client purchases a product.
3- OFFER: People love an offer when trying something new. Once you have set your product price (we suggest a minimum mark-up of 3 x your purchase price) you can offer a special that makes sense. There are many ways to persuade your clients to purchase your products and to use your products as incentives to get more business. Below is a list of some common approaches to use your products in promotions:
Ways to Promote your Nail Polish Line
- Introductory pricing of your branded nail products (example 10%, 15%, or 20% off)
- Percent off of a service is you purchase any of your branded products
- Buy one, get a percentage off of your second product of equal or lesser value
- Buy one, get one of the same products free
- Bring in a friend for a service and get a free bottle of nail polish
- Refer 2 friends and get a free nail polish.
In summary, introducing your nail polish line in a salon requires a multi-faceted approach. Please note: what has not been said here, and is the foundation for your success is to first inform your staff. You will want to make sure that the staff can easily explain the value of your product to your clients. You may also want to create an incentive for YOUR STAFF so they will become excited to promote the products. We will go in-depth on this topic in a later article. For now, your incentive may be as simple as providing a gift certificate or prize for the staff member who sells the most products. Your staff will become excited and stay motivated because they are part of the process.
Your partners at OC Minx Cosmetics are always here to support you. Please reach out to us with any questions regarding how we can support you in this wonderful, exciting endeavor!